How to Make a Princess Leia Costume for Adults
For those of you who are big Star Wars fans she's not only a princess, but much more than that. A warrior, a heroine and a character that many of us have dreamed of being in our childhood. This is why there's no better tribute to Princess Leia than to dress up as her for Halloween, Carnival, Comic-Con or any other event that is worth it, as this is a classic option due to the simplicity of this costume.
Ready to make your own Princess Leia costume? In this oneHOWTO article we explain how to make a Princess Leia costume for adults, for both her white iconic costume and her bikini look!
You will need
Making a princess Leia costume is very simple if you have all the elements to join together. To create a perfect look you will need the following:
- A long white dress, preferably with a turtle neck. (this can be substituted with a white bed sheet)
- A 3.2 white sheet or fabric for the hood (optional)
- 1 white belt or white fabric, felt is a good option but any type of fabric goes.
- Tin foil or silver paper for the details on the belt
- White or black boots
- A plastic gun (optional)
The most essential item to make a Princess Leia costume is, of course, having a long, white dress. If you don't have one at home you can also use a white toga or create a no-sew Princess Leia costume from scratch with a white sheet. If you're skillful, make your own dress with the template provided in the picture below.
Due to the simplicity of the dress, you can do this at home with no complications. Ready to try it out?
Note that measurements will vary depending on your height and width. Just make sure the dress covers your feet and to create flared sleeves.
If you've decided to make your own princess Leia costume out of a sheet, then don't forget the hood that, though it is usually not seen, will give it a more realistic touch and will look even more similar to the one worn by this Star Wars character. In this image you'll find the template for the hood that will be useful for our purpose.
Once you have sewn the hood to the strap, you should sew it on to the back of your dress.
The belt is also a fundamental element in our Princess Leia costume. If you're in a hurry and want a last minute costume, you can grab any white belt or simple strap a piece of white fabric to your waist, but if you have more time it's worth to spend some time on this accessory.
Using a white piece of sheet as a base, a belt or even a piece of felt in this color, you can apply elements using tin foil or silver paper that you'll be able to stick to the belt with glue. This will help you create a replica of the dress with all the details.
One of the most characteristic features of this Star Wars character is her hair, so if you want to make a Princess Leia costume you can't miss out on her incredible hairdo. Her look is very similar to creating a doughnut bun but at the sides of your head. To make it you should follow these instructions:
- Divide your hair in two even parts.
- Make two pony tails at each side of your head.
- Screw your hair on itself and then roll it up in a doughnut shape, making sure it's as stuck to your head as possible. When you're done, stick as many hairpins as you need to support the bun. Do the same with the other side.
Make sure you apply plenty of hairspray so your buns stay in their correct position.
Extra: Princess Leia slave bikini costume
Don't want to go in a classic Leia costume? If you're an old school Star Wars fan, then you're bound to remember Carrie Fisher chained to Jabba the Hut while she was enslaved in Return of the Jedi. How about being a bit more daring and going for the Princess Leia bikini costume look? Take a look at this easy step by step tutorial and get the look!
What you need
- Brown/military green bikini top and bottom
- Thick leather choker
- Long chick chain
- Golden paint spray
- Big piece of cardboard
- White glue
- Aluminum wire
- Rouge fabric (preferably light material such as loincloth).
- Hot glue
- The first step will be to create the bottom part of the metal bikini. To do so, you'll need to cut two pieces of cardboard into a triangular shape with rounded ends. Make sure they are both big enough to cover the front and the back of the bottom of your Princess Leia bikini costume respectively.
- Create a roman-like pattern by twirling up pieces of newspaper, stick them on the cardboard to create the winding shapes with glue.
- Once the shapes have stuck to the cardboard, cover with paper and white glue so that the letters from the newspaper don't show and you get a fine surface. Leave to dry.
- Now you can spray-paint both sides in gold and leave to dry.
- Meanwhile, cut out two pieces of the rouge fabric long enough so they get to the floor starting from your crotch. Cut them to fit your height.
- When the paint has dried, turn the pieces of cardboard over and glue the rouge fabric to each side with some hot glue. In turn, you'll have to glue each side to the bikini bottom with hard glue too. Secure with a safety pin to each side if necessary so the glue doesn't fall off at any time.
- Now we have the bottom part, let's go for the bikini top. In this case, we'll create the newspaper scrunches and cover them directly with paper machè.
- Spray paint the scrunches and create the figures to the bikini top is a similar shape to the picture below. Leave to dry.
- We're also going to create two accessories for this Princess Leia costume. Get hold of the aluminum wire and shape them into two bracelets, one to fit your wrist and the other to fit your forearm, twisting this second one three times around your arm and curving the tips.
- Cover them with a layer or two of newspaper to create some bulk and apply the paper machè. Leave to dry.
- When dry, spray-paint them both.
- Get the choker now and secure the hook to the center of it. Also spray paint it.
- When dry, hang the chain from the choker's hook and you have Leia's necklace!
- To complete your Leia costume, you'll only need to put your hair up into a high ponytail, tie it up at the top and create a braid. If you don't have long hair, your best option is to purchase a fake braid or apply some extensions.
- Regarding your feet, you can use brown or military green cowboy style boots, wear some discreet sandals or go barefoot, the choice is yours!
This is the easiest way of making your own Leia bikini costume from scratch, though you should know there are plenty of online retailers that sell the costume.
And now you're done! You now have an incredible Princess Leia costume for Halloween, Carnival or any occasion! If you want your friend to join in, take a look at how to make a Rey costume from Star Wars. Enjoy and may the force be with you.
If you liked this costume, take a look at these other amazing ideas for costumes inspired in comic and movie characters:
- How to make a Wonder Woman costume
- How to make a Son Goku costume
- How to make Inside Out DIY costumes
- How to make a Chucky Halloween costume
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make a Princess Leia Costume for Adults, we recommend you visit our Festivities & Celebrations category.
- Be patient and ask someone to help you with the costume and details. Have a picture next to you to make sure you get as many details and designs right.