How to Make Fake Blood at Home
Whether it is Halloween and you want to perfect your vampire costumer, you are making a horror film with some friends or even if you want to play some pranks, fake blood can come in handy. While you can buy it in a party store, but it can be costly, especially if you need lots of it. Fortunately, with oneHOWTO, you an learn how to make fake blood at home. These 8 DIY fake blood methods are not only easy, but you will end up with realistic fake blood.
How to make fake blood with honey
Our first DIY fake blood method is great if you need to use blood for your mouth. We need something that is edible and non-toxic, in case some of it is swallowed. With our organic fake blood recipe using honey, you won't have to worry about harming you or anyone else, but you will have to be careful if you don't want your things to get sticky. Here is the step-by-step method of making edible artificial blood:
- Start by pouring the honey into a suitably sized jar until it is half full.
- Being a very dense food, we advise you to add a tablespoon and a half of water per half cup of honey.
- Stir well to mix both ingredients.
- Then add red food coloring to the mixture. It has to be a strong and dark red to give a realistic color.
- Mix all the ingredients well and, if you can, add a splash of green food coloring to make the blood look even more realistic.
- If you want, you can add a splash of strawberry syrup to the mixture to give the honey an even more delicious flavor.
How to make fake blood with sugar
If you don't have honey at home or you don't like the taste of honey, don't worry. You also have the option of making realistic fake blood with water, sugar and food coloring. Follow these steps:
- Put a glass of water and two glasses of sugar in a saucepan (there should always be twice as much water as sugar). Let it simmer over a very low heat to prevent the sugar from falling apart too much and turning into caramel. Constantly stir the sugar.
- When the water starts to boil, count two minutes and remove it from the heat to achieve the desired fake blood texture. A good trick is to take small tablespoons of the mixture from the heat and let them cool to observe its texture until it is the consistency you need, i.e. similar to thick syrup. At that moment you can turn off the stove.
- Cool to room temperature and put the mixture in the fridge to cool for about 1 hour.
- After this time, add the edible coloring (previously mixed with red and small drop of blue) and mix everything well. Your realistic fake blood with sugar will be ready to use.
How to make fake blood with ketchup
So far, we have been using food coloring to create our homemade fake blood. However, if you don't have any you will need to now how to make fake blood without food dye. In this case, ketchup can be a great tool ad it is easy to remove fake blood and non-toxic. However, ketchup alone will not be very realistic. This is where cocoa powder and beets come in.
- Crush the beet and add a little water to mix its juice.
- Remove half a glass of this mixture and then add half a tablespoon of cocoa powder.
- Mix all the ingredients well and, little by little, add a splash of ketchup.
- Mix and, if you think necessary, add a little more cocoa or ketchup until you achieve the right color.
Remember that if you are wondering how to make fake blood that does not stain, this option is one of the best. You should be able to remove it from your skin and clothing with a simple mixture of soap and water.
This homemade fake blood recipe can be used with a DIY werewolf costume if you want to make it nice and gruesome.
How to make fake blood with corn syrup
Another great idea if you are wondering how to make fake blood is something they use in real films. This is one of the most professional and realistic recipes for fake blood, but only uses two ingredients. You will not find a simpler recipe, so prepare your corn syrup, red food coloring and follow these instructions:
- Add a quarter cup of corn syrup to a bowl.
- Then add a few drops of red food coloring.
- Mix well until the corn syrup is tinted blood red.
- If the color is too light and unrealistic to you, add a drop of blue food coloring (or whatever you need) to darken the hue.
If you want to learn how to make edible blood for children, this option is perfect. With only two edible ingredients you can make a realistic costume without worrying about the safety of your little one. Also, if you want, you can add a few drops of vanilla essence to give the mixture a better flavor.
How to make fake blood with coffee
If you want more options to learn how to make artificial blood, this idea is easy to prepare and is made with cheap instant coffee. You will only need a tablespoon of this ingredient as well as water, flour and red food coloring. Follow these steps:
- Dissolve a tablespoon of coffee in a little water and reserve the mixture for later.
- Next, boil a cup of water and once it starts to boil, add a cup of flour. Mix both ingredients until you create a smooth paste.
- Once you have the mixture ready, add the red food coloring slowly until you get the desired color.
- Stir all the ingredients and let them simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the coffee that you had reserved little by little until the blood acquires that more realistic dark color.
How to make fake blood with lipstick
If you don't want to make edible blood and are in a hurry, there is nothing easier and faster than making fake blood with liquid lipstick. This trick is especially good for a zombie or vampire costume, since you can draw the blood around the mouth very easily. It is not suitable if you want to make liquid blood, but is great for stains and face makeup.
Slice off however much of the red lipstick you need and mash it into a paste. Add a little water drop by drop if you need to. You can add some chocolate syrup to darken the DIY fake blood if necessary. This is a way to make fake blood without needing any artificial dyes.
If you use it around your mouth, fingers or even fake wounds you create, it will be the perfect addition to making your own cheap zombie costume at home.
How to make fake blood with strawberries
Ketchup and lipstick are good examples of how to make fake blood without dyes. However, below we provide another step by step method based on natural ingredients that will not require any unnatural chemicals. You will only need strawberry syrup, liquid chocolate, 4 or 5 strawberries and hot water:
- Crush the strawberries with a blender and check that the seeds are well crushed. Alternatively, strain them out with a sieve.
- Once ready, add the hot water and stir to mix the ingredients.
- Then add the strawberry syrup and a little liquid chocolate and mix so that all the ingredients are well integrated.
- The chocolate will darken the red color of the strawberries to make the fake blood appear more real.
- Before adding it, let the mixture cool down. If you think this is too runny, add a little more syrup to thicken it.
Your fake blood with strawberries is ready. It is also edible. With this simple trick you can prepare your fake blood without dyes in just a few minutes.
If you want some ideas for makeup ideas to use your fake blood, why not take a look at our video for how to make a slit throat video tutorial:
How to make fake blood with hair gel
If you don't want to waste food but you have some clear hair gel, then we will explain how to make fake blood with this product and a little red and blue food coloring.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of clear gel into a container and add 3-4 drops of red food coloring.
- Mix both ingredients and check that the color is realistic.
- If you think it is too red and light, add a drop of blue food coloring and mix again.
- Add the drops of blue coloring you need until you get a realistic hue.
This option gives the blood an ideal slimy texture and can be ready in a matter of minutes. If you are in a rush, the gel can be your best ally. It is also great if you want a blood clot type of material. You can use shower gel or even shampoo, but be aware it will foam if agitated.
If you are celebrating Halloween and want to put your DIY fake blood to good use, then you can take a look at our article on how to throw a Halloween part for tweens.
If you want to read similar articles to How to Make Fake Blood at Home, we recommend you visit our Festivities & Celebrations category.