How To Make Chinese Mid Autumn Festival Lanterns
Mid Autumn Festival in China, also known as the Moon Festival, Chinese Moon Festival, or Zhongqiu Festival, is equivalent to the Thanksgiving celebration. It is a harvest festival that ethnic Chinese people celebrate on every 15th day of 8th month of the Chinese Han calendar. This is a festival of great pomp and show, and lanterns are an integral part of this celebration. You have already read how to make Chinese wishing lanterns. Here at OneHowTo.com, we will tell you how to make Chinese mid autumn festival lanterns on your own.
A sky lantern
Floating sky lanterns are common sights in Mid Autumn Festival celebrations. People make their wish, light up the lantern, and leave it to float up to the heaven. Here’s how to make one:
· Tie a tight knot with a piece fabric, and trim the ends, leaving only 1 inch on all sides. These end pieces become your candle’s wicks, which will propel your lantern in the sky, just like a hot air balloon.
· Center two 24 inches florist wire pieces over the knot, making sure that both of them are perpendicular with their mid points, and overlap the top part of the knot.
· Wrap wires around the knot, twist and secure them tightly, and leave 4 wire ends approx 9 to 10 inches on each side.
· Place your candle over an open flame, and let the wax melt completely.
· Keep the knot in the melted wax, and soak for 3-5 minutes.
· Remove the wick you created from the wax, and let it cool to make it hard
· Wrap a strip of aluminum foil around the knot, and twist the ends so that the wire is covered completely.
A paper lantern
Paper lanterns are basically meant for decoration purposes.
· Measure out 1 inch along the width of a construction paper, cut off its top, and set it aside. This will make a handle for your paper lantern.
· Fold the paper along its length, and measure 1 inch from the fold’s top. This will be its stop cut line.
· Make 1 inch interval lines along the paper, and cut along the marked lines. Do not cross the top line.
· Carefully fold it the other way to hide the pencil marks.
· Use clear tape to connect both ends together, and repeat on both sides.
· Use tape or staple to attach the handle. Your paper lantern is ready.
These are just two of the many types of lanterns you can make for a Mid Autumn Festival celebration. Just use your creativity, and come up with great ideas to make your own masterpieces.
If you want to know more about this celebration don't miss out on our article on Why we Carry Lanterns on Mid Autumn Festival.
If you want to read similar articles to How To Make Chinese Mid Autumn Festival Lanterns, we recommend you visit our Festivities & Celebrations category.